Project Bruteforce 3 - The Torque Monster

U

User 12058

Please note, I have cleared with Daniel Schwiperich to post this Worklog in this section.

Introduction

History -IONI
I had a first go at DIY DD FFB when a friend posted a link to what Bernhard Berger was doing with the Argon drive. Back then I gave the DD wheel via his API a try, shortly thereafter, MMoS came onboard and released a FW to be used on the STM Discovery evaluation board.

It was around this time I hosted the Argon build log over at iRacing, the original Bruteforce, and quite a few guys jumped on board and experienced the joys of DD FFB. I will forever be thankful for the efforts of Bernhard and Michael MMoS, which started me on this journey.

Around Q3 2014, Tero informed me they will do a new small compact drive controller, the IONI, aimed at the printer market. Well, I had some thoughts about this, and met with Tero and Aki late 2014, to discuss a few ideas over beers. I requested Tero to investigate if he could improve on the current 5-7A design spec of his original IONI ideas, and the new IONI was born - it was based on the 8x PCI-Express form factor, to support much higher current than the original 4x form factor allowed for.

We saw the first IONI's introduced with relative conservative current numbers, but today, there are several versions, and the ones we are interested in is the IONI Pro and IONI Pro HC. The former can do around 18A Peak-of-Sine, the latter, 25A, and very soon, I suspect we will be able to get our hands on 30A versions.....(more on this later)

History - SimuCUBE
Whilst both Argon and IONI projects made for a fun DIY DD FFB project, it was time consuming to do a DIY project based on these, not easy for the average Joe to implement. Shortly after IONI was born, I started to think of ways to make the process simpler and easier, as well as improve on communications efficiencies et al.

In my mind, the best way to go forward was to have a simple motherboard, with an interface that can accept the IONI, and host all other functions onboard. It would require a single psu, have an advanced microcontroller onboard, reduced latencies and a host of other future features.

Key was that it had to support the current MMoS FW, allow for open-source fw development, and also support direct API control interface.

Almost exactly 1 year after meeting with Tero and Aki, we met over beers again. I discussed my idea with them, and we brainstormed the features that I would like to see. I also ensured Tero it is a viable product for the DIY market, and as such, we moved from my concept idea, to a block diagram in the space of a few weeks.

Aki shared this and we discussed a few additions, to make the motherboard bullet proof, and Aki then went on to finalise the pcb design. At the next meeting in Finland, and over sauna, beers and pizza, I was presented with a prototype, which I have since thoroughly tested. The Indiegogo campaign was kicked off, to big success for Tero and his team, whilst allowing is FYI types to get our fix.

I would like to give a special thank you to Tero, Timo, Aki and Esa, for listening to my crazy ideas, and bringing this product to the market. We, the community, owe you a big thank you.

With that said, below a basic work log with steps on how to DIY your own.

The original concept idea:

Embedded%20carrier%20Board_revised.png

From that, it quickly moved to reality:
SimuCube_Capture.png

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
U

User 12058

Hardware
Below a basic list of the hardware needed to DIY the SimuCube project. Please note I have not listed the smaller items such as wires, fuses, line-filters, connectors, etc.....there is enough information about these items in both Bruteforce 1 and 2 threads, please visit them for more information, if required.

1) IONI Pro or Pro HC controller
Wikipages: http://granitedevices.com/wiki/Category:IONI

600px-Finalioni2crop.jpg

2) SimuCube motherboard
Wikipages: http://granitedevices.com/wiki/SimuCUBE

800px-Simucube_photo.jpg

3)Meanwell Powersupply
Note I am using the SDR-960-48 for my Lenze and AKM53K servo setups, and the SDR-480-48 for my big MiGe setup. For the smaller MiGe, I can recommend the NDR-480-48 unit.
Photos below of the 24V units, you need 48V PSU!! It is the best to google for a supplier closest to you.
SDR-960-48 (for Lenze, AKM53/54 servos)
https://www.reichelt.com/SNT-MW-SDR...41&artnr=SNT+MW-SDR960-48&SEARCH=mw-sdr960-48

SDR-960.jpg

Please note the specs of this one, this will not work well on 115VAC input power!! At that voltage, it is derated to ~the same wattage as the 480W units!

SDR-960-48-specs.png

SDR-480-48 (for big Mige)

DIN20rail20power20supply20SDR-480.jpg

NDR-480-48 (for small Mige)

din_rail_power_supply_ndr-480.jpg

For servos, please visit my Bruteforce 2 thread, there is a list of commonly used servos for the DIY DD wheel application.
A few photos of a quick and easy built I have done for my Lenze servo - this is based on the Prototype board Tero kept for me - I am honoured to have this bit of history, it has performed exceptionally well over the past >2 months:
And a render of a nice acrylic case, similar to what will be supplied as a complete built unit, or upgrade kit - case by Aki!

IMG_1091%20Large.jpg

IMG_1095%20Large.jpg

IMG_1093%20Large.jpg

IMG_1092%20Large.jpg

U

User 12058

SCHEMATICS AND WIRING DIAGRAMS
Please find below the basic block diagram, wiring diagram (both borrowed from Granite Devices Website) as well as a wiring schematic I have made to ease the process for you fellas DIY'ing the SimuCube build.

I will update this section as receive the 1x Cube hardware, please note the schematic below is only applicable to the 4x Cube and Single IONI Drive as per my prototype testing.

Block Diagram of the SimuCube/IONI Sim Controller
*image taken from Granite Devices Website!

365px-Simucube_chart.png

Basic Wiring Diagram
*image taken from Granite Devices Website!

737px-Simucube_basic_wiring_scheme.jpg

Wiring Schematic - Please use this for both small and big MiGe Servos

Wiring_screenshot_MiGe.png

Wiring Schematic - Please use this for the AKM53K series servos
*Wiring should work for the AKM52/53 G and K servos to, please verify beforehand.

Wiring_screenshot_AKM_1.png

U

User 12058

Software and Settings
To be continued'

A post about relations between servo torque, IONI amps and MMoS, IRacing sliders, this might help you understand the relationship a bit better - posted on IRacing, so ignore the names, please

Phillip Jansen van Rensburg schrieb:
Hey Daniel,
The motor is rated in RMS current (Root Mean Square)

The drive output is rated in Peak of Sine current (POS).

If memory serves, the small Mige is rated at 9.1A RMS peak and 2.20NM/A torque constant. 9.1 X 2.2 = 20.02NM torque.

To get the full servo peak torque in IONI, you need to set the POS current level in IONI at 9.1A RMS X 1.4142 = 12.87A POS.

Thus IONI MMC of 12.87A POS setting will drive the servo at 9.1A RMS, which is ~=20NM.

MMC = 12.87
MCC = 12.77

Now, the above is true of you set MMC and MCC in Granite as per the above, MMoS to 100% and the IRacing slider to 20NM.

Under Driving the servo:

With all else equal, but moving the IRacing slider to 30NM:
Real servo torque then becomes 20/30x 20NM = 13.33NM

Moving the IRacing slider to 40NM:
Real servo output then becomes 20/40x 20NM = 10NM

Overdriving the servo:
For example, moving the slider to 15NM
20/15x 20= 26.67NM.

Under driving the servo, no other changes need in the setup. Overdriving the servo, you can see that more current is needed in the IONI setup. How much more?

Well, 26.67NM with a torque constant of 2.2NM/A = 12.12A RMS.

12.12A RMS X 1.4142 = 17.15A POS ( this is what would be set in Granity MMC, perhaps 17.00 for MCC)

Above just showing the calculations in how it all works, I won't advise overdriving the servos though ;) if you want to play with overdriving the small Mige to 25NM, you will need (25/2.2)X 1.4142 =16.1A POS setting in Granity, and then move the slider to 16NM in IRacing.

Again, not a good plan, as you will induce clipping, much better to get the correct servo that suits your physical abilities.....

Above all for the small Mige, the big Mige have a torque constant of 1.57, the Lenze = 1.4 and the AKM53K = 1.24, you need to recalculate granite settings.

Hope this clarifies a bit, let me know if there are questions, and don't quote me on the above torque constants, I am traveling and no time to confirm, but they should be close.

@Brion: Looking at your settings:

Big Mige torque constant of 1.57NM/A
Peak Torque = 30NM
Servo RMS current needed is 19.11A

It means you will need to set IONI Pro HC to 19.11A RMS X 1.4142 = 27A POS in Granite, which you can't do, as the max setting is 25A. I can though, becUse I am beta-testing something special, and can do 30A POS, which means I can drive my big Mige to 30NM, as well as the Lenze to 29NM.

In your case, if you set the POS in Granity to 25A for MMC and 24.9 A for MCC, it means your servo can deliver a real torque of (25/1.4142)X 1.57 = 27.8 NM, provided MMoS is set to 100%, and IRacing set to 27.8NM then.

If you have the above settings, but have the slider at 30NM, then it means you are slightly under driving the servo to (27.8/30)x27.8=25.76 NM.

If you are running your slider at your current 47 NM, and provided you set MMC and MCC to ~ 25A POS in the IONI, you will have a real torque of (27.8/47) X 27.8 = 16.44NM.

If I consider your earlier current settings, of 18A, you were running ((18/1.4142) x1.58 ) /47x20 =8.56NM real torque. This 8.56/30= 28.5% of the real servo capability.

Apologies for my verbose reply, but this might help others understand the basic maths behind this, and remove some of the misunderstandings floating around.

Cheers,
Beano

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
U

User 12058

Updates
In this section, I will primarily discuss open-source FW development for the SimuCube STM microcontroller, as well as the IONI controller FW development.

Future ideas
Here, I will share new ideas and hardware developments, as well as peripheral add-ons, with the peeps.

U

User 14146

Thanks for posting your worklog, again!

I'm really curious about that Nextion 4.3" LCD mentioned in the wiring diagram. I guess the OSS firmware is needed for that at least, but I'd like to know what Granite thought about displaying on it? Live torque/wattage/statistics about the servo drive/motor/psu? With some fancy graphs? ;)

Btw, what case do you use again?

U

User 8729

Oh, the first time that i saw the display connectors .. as Pierre said, very interesting.

Some Infos about that would be great :]

U

User 12058

Hey Guys,
Cheers for the feedback - and sharp eyes :lol:

The basic idea would be to use that display to show some specific parameters, which will be possible with the new open-source FW. Early on I thought it would be good to have such a feature, as now one always needs to enter the Granity Suite to see if anything interesting is happening inside the drive....

I have some good ideas about what to show and how to show it on the Nextion, let's see how that works going forward, but first we need initial OS FW. Tero is working on that anyway, so something will come, and I am truly hoping the community will contribute to make the OS FW a big success, as it certainly can be.

Talk soon!

Cheers,
Beano

U

User 12058

:lol:

Just lucky and glad I am a hardware guy

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
U

User 14517

Hallo,

danke dir für die Informationen. ich habe eine Frage. Kann ich SDR-480-48 SchaltNetzteil mit AKM53G zusammen benutzen?

U

User 14517

Welche AKM53 Motor muss ich kaufen? und wo kann ich AKM53 Motor und kabel(simucube kompatibilat) kaufen? Dennis reimer kauft aber es ist sehr teuer :(

U

User 12058

You can buy either AKM53K or AKM53G. Note that the K series is more wired with speed in mind, and as such, have a lower NM/A coefficient than the G series, which is wired for torque.

See comments below.

Just had a fun session testing my AKM53K I got off Davy some time ago.

Damn, it is even smoother than the Lenze, a really nice servo, with a distinctly different and more refined feel compared to even the Lenze servo.

Bear in mind, this is the K version, the more expensive brother to the G version used elsewhere. You need a fair bit of current to push this one, as it is wired for speed as opposed to the more torquey G version, but it is smoother, and provides enough torque, powered by the Pro HC, to even keep me busy. It is a very good match to the Pro HC, actually.

The SimuCube was wired to a MW SDR-480-48 PSU, and as a combined package, a fantastic high-end solution.

I even set a new practice WR around MoSport in the Ford, a nice fast 1;14.3.

Next 2 photos which I will just leave here for now, I will update in a short while what it's about. Don't mind the servo part number, it ain't accurate ;)

As a hint, this is the 3rd of my AKM servos, but it has had some special treatment.

image_41.jpeg

image_42.jpeg

Cheers,
beano

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
U

User 14517

Welche AKM53 Motor muss ich kaufen? und wo kann ich AKM53 Motor und kabel(simucube kompatibilat) kaufen? Dennis reimer kauft aber es ist sehr teuer :(

Der motor selbst kostet auch über 1k euro ;)

Es gibt ein Man und der kauft Akm53 Servo für nur 972 Euro ohne Kabel. Mit Kabel 1100 Euro. Link: http://shop.nsh-racingproduct.com/fr/accueil/28-servo-moteur-kollmorgen-akm53.html Aber ich weiß nicht dass der Mann ähnlich ist oder nicht. Hat Niemand Erfahrung? Oder wo und wie teuer kann ich kaufen.

U

User 12058

You need to make sure you get a servo with a quadrature incremental encoder. MMos fw is only supporting that. Most of the servos you find at those prices have a resolver fitted. Whilst IONI can read a variety of encoders, MMos cannot, and anyway, resolver is to low of a resolution to be benefitting Direct Drive wheels.

Of course, you can buy that servo and retrofit a new encoder....

cheers,
'Beano

U

User 12058

A few pics of the Lenze on my 8020 rig, as well as the AKM53K mounted this afternoon.

Note both setups are temporary, servo will be relocated, also note the u-joint is installed and works as a slip-joint to eliminate z-direction movement, which can damage the servo bearings.

The splined end is free to slip on the shaft.

Lenze:

File_000_1.jpeg

File_002.jpeg

And the AKM53K

File_000.jpeg

File_001.jpeg

U

User 14517

A few pics of the Lenze on my 8020 rig, as well as the AKM53K mounted this afternoon.

Note both setups are temporary, servo will be relocated, also note the u-joint is installed and works as a slip-joint to eliminate z-direction movement, which can damage the servo bearings.

The splined end is free to slip on the shaft.

Lenze:

cache.php

cache.php

And the AKM53K

cache.php

cache.php

Danke dir. Wo hast du AKM53K gekauft? und was ist Serial nummer oder Encoder nummer?

Zurück
Oben